The department of geometry was founded in 1921. The first research in geometry at Kharkiv university was done by outstanding Russian geometer of the last quarter of the nineteenth century Konstantin Alekseevish Andreev (1848 – 1921). He worked at Kharkiv university from 1873 to 1898. In 1879 he became one of the founding members of the Kharkiv mathematical society.

Dmitry Matveevich Sintsov (1867 – 1946) was the first head of the department. He organized the mathematical cabinet of the university, collected a wonderful library and a rich set of geometric models. Yakov Pavlovich Blank (1903 – 1988) was the head from 1946 to 1950 and from 1959 to 1980.

From 1950 to 1959 academician Aleksey Vasilievich Pogorelov (1919 – 2002) headed the department. He devoted mush attention to the problems of teaching mathematics at school and at the university. Created in the eighties, the set of handbooks for the secondary school is the peak of his teaching activity.

From 1980 to 2012 Borisenko Alexander Andreevich, professor, Corresponding Member of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine was the head of the department.

From 2014 on Alexander L. Yampolsky is the head of the department.

The research seminar in geometry works at the department from 1921 (and holds on from 1945 continuously).